Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hey Good-Lookin'

So far my first week back on plan is going very well. The key has been planning and preparation, which is generally the case with me. If I’m left without a plan, local restaurants begin calling my name, whether it’s pizza, chicken wings, ham subs, chicken fingers, spaghetti parm…any of those get louder and louder whenever I don’t have a plan. To avoid this, Monday night after work I went grocery shopping. The more healthy choices I have in the house, the easier it is for me to eat those healthy choices. I bought 2 pounds of chicken breast, some green peppers, some grape tomatoes, some bananas and clementines, some Dannon Light and Fit yogurt, some lettuce, and some tortillas. I bought some bleu cheese and some feta cheese (NOT reduced fat, the full fat kind), and some sliced almonds and walnuts. I bought some Weight Watchers reduced fat cheddar squares because I had a coupon AND they were on sale (bonus!). I got some lean ground beef and some onions. My cart was full of healthy, delicious, flavorful foods, and it was a pleasure doing that type of shopping, knowing I was making healthy choices that were going to nourish my body.

I cooked the chicken breasts by baking them in the oven with a small amount of water (to keep them moist) as soon as I got home. While the chicken breasts were cooking, I chopped up the green peppers and washed the grape tomatoes. I also made some fat free garlic dip (using a Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic spice, fat free mayo and fat free sour cream). When the chicken was done, I cut each breast into halves and put them each into a plastic bag, making it easy for me to grab one while making my lunch in the morning. By simply taking one evening to prepare for the week, I’ve had the most delicious meals that I’ve had in quite a long time. Yesterday for lunch I had a salad with chicken breast, bleu cheese, walnuts, crunchy lo mein noodles and light balsamic vinaigrette. It tasted incredible, like something I’d order at a restaurant. Today for lunch I had an Asian Chicken Wrap using a recipe I found on the Weight Watchers website in the Community Recipe Swap (which was originally a Betty Crocker recipe that was modified to make it lighter. It was fan-damn-tastic, and I’m posting the recipe at the end so you can enjoy it as well. Tonight I’m going to have a salad with chicken breast, feta cheese, sliced almonds, and a low fat Greek dressing. Tomorrow night I’m making another Betty Crocker recipe, Impossibly Easy Taco Pie, since my honey (whom I’ll call Samson, to protect the innocent), but modified slightly to make it healthier. I’m also baking an Oatmeal Banana Nut Bread, another Weight Watchers recipe I found online. I know it’s only the first week, but so far I am so pleased with the way things are going.

Next challenge? Tackling exercise. I need to get my ass back in gear. I have two tangible goals, which I’ll discuss in more detail in my next entry. I ain’t gonna get there without exercise!

And now, as promised:

Asian Chicken Wraps
2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tbsp hot water
1 tsp vegetable oil
4 fat free flour tortillas
8 slices cooked deli chicken breast (I used regular chicken breast)
1 1/2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots (optional)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

In a small bowl whisk together peanut butter, teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, water & oil, until smooth.

Spread about 1 1/2 tbsp peanut butter mixture over each tortilla. Top each w/ 2 slices chicken, about 1/3 cup lettuce, about 1/3 cup carrots, & 2 tbsp cilantro.

Roll up tortillas.

Enjoy!

No comments: